Monday, March 18, 2013

So how does Cloud Computing help?



Cloud computing benefits businesses and individuals in many different ways and every year more applications are being developed.  The use of clouds allows companies flexibility, there is a nearly unlimited amount of storage space available so they can use as much as they want and they don’t have to upgrade or purchase new servers.  If they decided to use less, they aren’t stuck with unused servers and because the client or user doesn’t own the servers they aren’t responsible for upgrading and adding addition space.  This also means that cloud computing is usually very cost efficient



There is also a nearly endless list of applications for cloud computing that can save most medium and large business time and money.  One of the most common uses for the cloud is to backup data.  Duplicate data is stored at several locals in the cloud and because the cloud uses servers in many different geographical locations, it is very unlikely that a single event or catastrophe could disable or destroy the servers causing data loss. Because the cloud can be integrated with most devices, if a loss does occur, it can usually be recovered quickly and made available anywhere in the world on a compatible device. 

Source: dvicenews.com

 An example of this would be a lost or damaged phone that was integrated into a cloud. A new phone could quickly replace the old phone, because the data is stored outside of the phone on a remote server in the cloud.  So you have all the same contacts, pictures, apps, music, and everything back, as soon as you get a new phone.  









Source:  Schouten, Edwin. "5 Cloud Business Benefits." Wired.com. Conde Nast Digital, 14 Oct. 0012. Web. 19 Mar. 2013. http://www.wired.com/insights/2012/10/5-cloud-business-benefits/








2 comments:

  1. I have a great example of cloud computing. My work laptop, hard copies of contracts and documents were in my vehicle, which was broke into last week. The thief snatched my work briefcase containing those items. Fortunate for me, I have all my information scanned into my desktop PC which is my main connection for my cloud system. My insurance reimbursed me for the stolen items and I just reloaded them onto the new one. Problem solved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. I love cloud computing. It saves me all the time. I have a monster sized laptop that is a pain to carry around. So when I know I will need documents on campus that are on it I can easily save them in my Google drive.

    As mentioned above, the information from a phone can be saved from cloud computing. I have experienced this, but from backing up computer files online. It saved photos and other irreplaceable files!

    ReplyDelete